Friday, April 8, 2011

Key Lime Pie




Whenever I'm at the library I take a few minutes to thumb through current issues of healthy food magazines.  Our local branch stocks Living Without (all about gluten-free cooking and eating) and Vegetarian Times.  It was while perusing Vegetarian Times some months back that I came across this luscious recipe for vegan key lime pie.  The ingredients looked doable and it was freezing outside so the warm, beachy feel of this pie was appealing.  I tried it that same week and was absolutely astonished that it tastes exactly like "regular" key lime pie!  This is truly one of my favorite recipes.  I've even eaten it for breakfast on occasion.  The creator of this divine, creamy sensation is Lauren Ulm, blogger and cookbook author.  Her book, Vegan Yum Yum, is beautiful.  She'll become one of your favorite people when you try this pie!

Crust
1  1/2 cups crushed vegan graham crackers 
1/4 cup Earth Balance, melted
1/4 cup agave nectar

Filling
1 cup cream of coconut (see notes below)
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
7 oz. silken tofu (I just use half of a 12 oz. box, even though that's slightly less)
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp agave
2 tsp grated lime zest

To make crust:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together crushed graham crackers, Earth Balance, and agave in bowl.  Press mixture into bottom and sides of a 9" pie dish using fingers or bottom of drinking glass.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden.  Cool.

To make filling:  Place all filling ingredients in a blender (you need the likes of a Vita Mix or Blendtec for this).  Process until very smooth.  Transfer filling to saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes, or until filling thickens, stirring constantly.  Spread filling on crust.  Chill in fridge at least 4 hours before serving (I usually chill overnight).  Serve garnished with lime slices and crushed graham crackers, if desired (or if you're like Mike, squirt a bunch of whipped cream from the can on top.  This, of course, makes the pie not completely vegan).

Notes:
Graham crackers:  try to find a brand that has less white sugar.  I like New Morning Organic Honey Grahams (you'll have to go to Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage for these).

Cream of Coconut:  This is NOT coconut milk.  It's the stuff they use in pina coladas and it does contain sugar (but I don't let that stop me from enjoying this pie!)  Coco Lopez is one brand (it comes in a can) but I like Coco Real Cream of Coconut which comes in a plastic squeeze bottle.  I buy it at Super Target and it's in the "drink mixers" section.

Tofu:  I realized as I was typing this post that the original recipe calls for extra-firm tofu (drained).  I've only ever used the silken stuff.  The extra-firm might give the pie a firmer texture, if you prefer that.  I like mine on the more creamy, smooshy side.

No comments:

Post a Comment